LUPUS INFLAMMATION AND EPO:
- The essential fatty acid which is contained in the seed oil of the plant is called the Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA). This GLA contains omega-3 fatty acids that are the major anti-inflammatory agents.
Gamma-Linolenic acid (GLA) is considered to be the key ingredient in the reduction of inflammation in the body. Evening primrose oil contains high amount of GLA which converts itself to DGLA (dihomo-gamma linolenic acid). This DGLA helps in the breakdown of chronic inflammatory cells in the body with the help of residing nutrients such as Magnesium, Zinc and Vitamins B3, C, B6.
PMS RELATED BENEFITS:
- Important to help reduce the inflammatory response
- Important for the structure and function of cell membranes
- Important for maintenance of general health and wellbeing
- Important for skin and hair growth
- Helps prevent fibroid growth
- Helps regulate hormones
EVENING PRIMROSE OIL ENTOURAGE EFFECT:
- When taken in combination with vitamins C, A and E, evening primrose oil can boost its own efforts to improve uterine health. Both the vitamins and the evening primrose oil help to balance out the production of estrogen and progesterone, which then reduces mood swings, irritability, and PMS-related acne.
- TAKING NSAIDS? A 6-month study was done on a certain number of patients suffering from arthritis and certain gastrointestinal lesions. All of them were supplemented with NSAIDs. Some patients received evening primrose oil supplement and the other half received olive oil. Three patients from each group reduced their dosage of NSAIDs. It showed that the GLA improved the pain and stiffness in arthritis patients.
EPO COMMON ANTI-AGING BENEFITS:
- As the body ages, it loses its ability to convert dietary fats into GLA. Because this essential fatty acid is involved in so many body processes, taking evening primrose oil can help to compensate for any deficiencies in GLA.
- This supplement also has many beneficial effects on the skin, hair, and joints. Taken twice a day over long term is considered very safe, with no negative side effects reported.
FREQUENTY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why Evening Primrose Oil is best suited for Lupus?
Gamma-Linolenic acid (GLA) is considered to be the key ingredient in reduction of inflammation in the body. Evening primrose oil contains high amount of GLA which converts itself to DGLA (dihomo-gamma linolenic acid). This DGLA helps in the breakdown of chronic inflammatory cells in the body with the help of residing nutrients such as Magnesium, Zinc and Vitamins B3, C, B6.
The GLA is categorized under a polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), which helps in reducing heart diseases and inflammation. Since the human body cannot produce GLA on its own, dietary supplements are prescribed for chronic inflammation in patients.
Effects of EPO on Arthritis and side-effects of non-steroidal drugs
A 6-month study was done on a certain number of patients suffering from arthritis and certain gastrointestinal lesions. All of them were supplemented with NSAIDs. Some patients received evening primrose oil supplement and the other half received olive oil. Three patients from each group reduced their dosage of NSAIDs.
Conclusion- Results showed that people with EPO intake showed improvement in chronic inflammation within 3 months, rest showed improvement with olive oil within 6 months. Hence it showed that the gamma-linolenic acid improved the pain and stiffness in arthritis patients whereas olive oil showed negligible results.
How Can EPO Help Adenomyosis and Endometriosis?
An essential fatty acid in Evening Primrose Oil called gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is anti-inflammatory and acts to inhibit tumor growth in those with endometriosis. GLA is actually converted into prostaglandins that work against the pain-causing and tumor stimulating prostaglandins. There are 3 types of prostaglandins – PgE1,2, and 3. PgE2 is the one that causes uterine contractions and pain.
Then there are two – PgE1 and PgE3 – that counteract the contractions and are antispasmodic i.e. natural pain killers.
The goal is to increase your good prostaglandins to offset the effects of the bad prostaglandins.
What Else is EPO Commonly Used For?
- Hot flashes
- PMS symptoms
- Lupus inflammation
What is EPO?
Essential fatty acids are incorporated into every cell membrane in the body, in the form of compounds called phospholipids. Cell membranes play the vital role of regulating what goes into, and what comes out of, each cell. The integrity and fluidity of the cell membrane is determined by the type of phospholipid that is available for the body to use.
Cell membranes made up mainly of phospholipids derived from the essential polyunsaturated fatty acids are more fluid and function better than cell membranes made up of saturated fat or trans fatty acids. A cell membrane working at optimal levels retains vital nutrients and electrolytes.
Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and substances made from them are components of nerve cells and substances known as prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Prostaglandins and leukotrienes are important in the inflammatory response. These fatty acids have an anti-inflammatory action because prostaglandins and leukotrienes derived from them have less inflammatory activity than prostaglandins and leukotrienes derived from other types of fatty acids.
How much EPO should be consumed?
Evening Primrose Oil should be taken with food because it helps in alleviating any sort of side effects. It should be taken in the pure form and not substituted with safflower oil or soy. Dosage of EPO for lupus is commonly known to be 1,300mg 1-2x a day.
It might take around 6 months for the evening primrose oil to show its effects.
Side-effects and Precautions
EPO is considered safe. If not taken according to the required dosage it might cause nausea, headache or stomach pains. Not for pregnant or breastfeeding women. People who have blood disorders or bleeding problems should not take EPO as well.
Is the Gelatin Halal or Vegetarian?
No. the gelatin is from bovine.
What’s the Difference Between Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oils?
Evening Primrose oil comes from the seed of a plant and contains the Omega-6 essential fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA).
The fish oils are known as a supplement for the Omega-3 derivatives, EPA & DHA.
Western diets are typically deficient in omega-3 and have excess omega-6 due to the abundant use of seed oils (corn, soy, canola). Making these types of oils a common necessity.
HOW TO USE FOR BEST RESULTS
For adults, take one (1) to three (3) softgels daily, preferably with a meal.
TIPS & TRICKS
Common Dosage for:
- Lupus – 1,300mg 2x a day
- PMS – 500-1,000 mg daily, may decrease as symptoms improve
- Adenomyosis – 500-1,300 mg 1x a day (not usually taken during menstruation)
- Endometriosis – 500-1,300 mg 1x a day (not usually taken during menstruation)
*If you have multiple conditions as listed above, do not take dosage per condition. Example, don’t take the recommended dose for Lupus and Adenomyosis. Following one dosage recommendation can help 1+ conditions.
INGREDIENTS & DETAILS
- Evening Primrose Oil may increase the risk of temporal lobe epilepsy in schizophrenic patients taking phenothiazine epileptogenic drugs.
- Consult a doctor before use if you are taking any prescription medications, including blood thinners or daily aspirin, if you have had a bleeding disorder, or if you plan to have or have had recent surgery.
- Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18.
- Pregnant or lactating women should consult a doctor before using any product.
- Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur.
For external use only.
Store tightly closed in a cool, dry place.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Anything said on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. See our terms and service for more information. As with any dietary or herbal supplement, you should get advice from your healthcare practitioner for the use of this product.If you are nursing, pregnant, or considering pregnancy, you should consult your healthcare practitioner prior to using this product. Keep safe and out of the reach of children.
While Lupus Health Shop strives to ensure the accuracy of its product images and information, some manufacturing changes to packaging and/or ingredients may be pending update on our site. Although items may occasionally ship with alternate packaging, freshness is always guaranteed. We recommend that you read labels, warnings and directions of all products before use and not rely solely on the information provided by Lupus Health Shop.
Take control of your health and order today!
“I believe quality, affordability, and sourcing of ingredients are what makes the difference between products that help or those that can contribute to illness over time. No fillers and binders are one of the biggest must-have’s on my checklist!” – Janeen Qadri, CEO of Lupus Health Shop