If you have any medical questions or concerns, please talk to your healthcare provider. The articles here are written by a Functional Medicine Holistic Nutritionist. However, they are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
A Beginners Guide To Natural Treatment For Lupus
If you’re one of those readers who wants all the juicy information without putting in time and effort, look out for #Lupuslifehacks throughout this article 🙂
You may be wondering what this article is really going to be about.
I’m going to tell you how to get the best mix of conventional treatment options that you may not be familiar with and examples of lifestyle changes that will help decrease the severity and length of flares and symptoms with fewer side effects.
Since this is a beginners guide, we’ll take it slow and keep it easy. BUT, I’ll give you a lot of information on how to approach your doctor or even find one that works with you on controlling Lupus through various proven methods.
I’ll give you tons of information on the following 6 topics:
Did you know our immune system is made in our gut?! That’s right, about 70% – 80% of our immune system is IN our gut. So, when we absorb toxins through hair and skin products, foods, and our environment, it’s easy for it to build up over time and trigger autoimmune disease(s).
What Is Natural Treatment For Lupus
Natural treatment for Lupus is based on finding the root cause of the issue. The root issue for anyone that is suffering from disease always boils down to 4 causes of disease.
4 Causes of Lupus:
- Hidden, stealth infection (yeast, virus STD-related too)
- Chemical toxins like BPA or pesticides (from our food or growing up near a farm)
- Emotional Trauma (Our emotions can manifest physically, just like anxiety attacks cause physical symptoms)
- Heavy metals like mercury or lead (This is WAY more common than we realize)
Natural treatment, specifically functional medicine uses various tests to determine the cause. Often, we may have multiple triggers of the disease. So, with a combination of tests and learning about your lifestyle from birth to present helps your doctor determine root issues. From there, they work with you and teach you how to improve poor habits so you don’t have to rely on them forever.
It’s cheaper to invest in your health and wellness now.
Functional medicine looks at how the body functions which it does as a synergistic system.
For comparison, conventional medicine ( what you currently use) only practices medicine based off of our organ systems separately.
When something is off balance, it will affect your entire body due to negative and positive feedback loops. With Lupus, it attacks multiple organ systems and our entire body is fighting chronic inflammation, so the current approach doesn’t work to improve our quality of health, but to manage symptoms and it doesn’t do it well enough.
So, why do conventional doctor’s still look at our symptoms separately and treat it as such?! This may be why you’re taking 5+ pills a day which doesn’t solve the problem, they mask symptoms and cause more.
Doctors haven’t been able to make far strides in research because they haven’t changed how they view the body. Conventional scientists have only come up with the same type of medications, but changed the names and mode, for profit.
Whereas in functional medicine, they are beating conventional treatments through better care, whole body system observation, and using a variety of natural treatment options in many cases in combination with conventional medicine too.
A few questions to ponder on:
Why are your allergies getting worse? Why are you taking more antibiotics and getting sicker more often?
Why are you more sensitive to foods & products? “Why” is what functional medicine doctors ask.
Then, ask HOW? How could your body go from healthy to confused then sensitive, and sick?
A number 1 belief is that your gut dictates your health. that’s because the majority of your immune system is located there. 70-80% of our immune system is in our gut. Plus, 1 in 3 adults have GI issues, that’s pretty drastic.
If it’s off-balance, it can trigger autoimmune disease or cancer.
Leaky gut or “increased intestinal permeability” means your GI tract has “holes” in it which allows toxins to leak out into your body. Something as simple as constant infections and skin conditions can be CURED. I swear, it can by treating the root cause; leaky gut syndrome.
First, instead of covering your body with high powered medications repeatedly and switching between various products that kind of work, you have to have a workup of multiple tests to find the cause.
For example, test your stool for certain bacteria growth (depends on the condition) or lack of good bacteria. This will indicate that too much bad bacteria is crowding your gut or immune system.
Then, check your bloodwork for possible food allergies like IgG and antibodies against yeast. Yeast overgrowth is very common but hardly tested. We just keeping taking Diflucan and other yeast infection killers, but never solve the problem.
Once the tests come back, your functional medicine doctor will modify your diet to most likely cut out refined, white sugars, gluten, and carbs.
Also, they’ll give antifungal, antibacterial supplements and/or herbs to kill off the parasites, bacteria or whatever is the cause.
Lupus Life Hackers Membership
FREE For A Limited Time, Expires Soon
Once all the “bad stuff” is cleared out you need to replenish your body with key nutrients. Healthy gut flora is replenished using specific prebiotics, probiotics, and a balanced, healthy diet full of the right types of nutrients for your body type.
Natural treatment includes diet change, vitamins/supplements, exercise, and chiropractic/kinesiology care, IV therapy of chelation, Ozone therapy, UV therapy, and more. It’s a mixture of treatments that makes the largest positive impact.
Your gut is usually the first entry point for exposure to pathogens and can trigger autoimmune disease and cancer.
How Does Your Gut Work?
One cell thick layer called the epithelium that covers the surface area about the size of a tennis court is your barrier from toxins. If that barrier is damaged, you will get sick and your immune system will become overactive, producing inflammation throughout the body.
Then, there’s your second brain. That’s right, your second brain. You though your gut intuition was just a saying, nope. There’s a hidden meaning. The “brain” in your gut contains more neurotransmitters than the brain in your head.
So, messages travel between your intestinal nervous system and your brain. If there is inflammation in your body, these messages are misfired. When those messages are altered for any reason in any direction — from the brain to the gut or the gut to the brain — your health will suffer.
Natural medicine believes if you treat your gut, you’ll actually improve your overall health, decrease severity and symptoms, and even go into remission from autoimmune diseases and cancers without severe side effects.
There are hundreds of thousands of first-hand testimonials. You can ask anyone who goes to integrative medical centers and follows the doctor’s advice.
It can be a long road though.
Think about it, you’re entire life has been filled with toxins. So, it may take as little as 6 months or a couple of years to heal. It depends on the severity of the problem.
- Natural treatment for Lupus treats with variety because your 7 body systems work together to create health or wreak havoc if a few things are off. It’s a domino effect that occurs over time.
- Functional medicine focuses on why you’ve developed sensitivities, constant rashes, stomach pains, chest pains, and fatigue, and HOW these symptoms were triggered.
- Symptoms are warning signs from your body telling you to find the problem and fix it, not mask it.
- Variety is diet, mental health support, physical activity, supplementation, and learning! Knowledge is power, the power to be in REMISSION.
- Your gut is usually the first entry point for exposure to pathogens and can trigger autoimmune disease and cancer.
- Treating your gut through modifications in diet, supplementation, and replenishing your gut flora can heal your skin conditions, remission from autoimmune diseases, and get rid of constant vague physical symptoms.
- Natural treatment includes diet change, vitamins/supplements, exercise, and chiropractic/kinesiology care, IV therapy of chelation, Ozone therapy, UV therapy, and more.
Medication Commonly Used As A Natural Treatment For Lupus
This is dedicated to Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). It’s so good, it deserves it’s very own paragraph and probably another blog. Natural treatment for Lupus can be successful with this compounded drug.
I swear to sweet baby Jesus this compounded drug is a godsend, literally. What medication do you know of that is affordable, not for profit, has no serious side effects, and is ranted and raved about to work BETTER than immunosuppressive drugs, steroids etc?!
What Exactly Will You Learn About This Medication:
- What it is/was originally used for
- How it functions in the body/how it affects the body
- What are the “side effects”
- How it is used as a natural treatment for Lupus, Hashimoto’s, MS, Fibromyalgia, Chrons, Ulcerative Colitis, IBS, and some cancers. You name it, it helps it.
- How much it is, where to get it, and who can prescribe it
- Science-based evidence
What It Was/Is Originally Used For:
This is FDA approved for drug addicts and alcoholics at 50mg-100+mg. It can reverse those who have long-term abuse with opioids and shows to be very effective.Off-label, from 1.5 – 4.5 mg, it’s currently used for Chrons, IBD, MS, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto’s, and various cancers(with success).
It’s technically an off-label use, but so are plenty of other medications that you or someone you know uses. For example, Vyvanse is used to treat ADHD. Off-label use of Vyvanse is to treat a binge eating disorder and excessive daytime sleepiness. Lyrica is FDA approved to treat nerve pain and seizures. However, it can be used to treat anxiety too.
How LDN Functions In The Body/How It Affects The Body:
Low-dose Naltrexone is a strong opioid antagonist. This means if someone takes opioids it won’t reach the receptors they normally attach to because the LDN attached to it first, leaving the person unable to get high or feel any effects. It blocks opioids by attaching to opioid receptors without activating them. Now, you’re probably wondering if you’re in the hospital, can they give you pain meds and will they work?
Yes and no. They can’t give you opioid family drugs. They’ll have to give you strong pain meds like morphine for it to give you a hospital version Tylenol effect. I’ve had this done and it works without severe side effects of morphine. I was completely coherent and in minimal pain, like a 3 out of 10.
LDN makes you happier, have more controlled emotions, less pain, and body-wide inflammation.
LDN works by “containing the fire ” or your immune system. It makes your immune system function better and become more reliable. Your blood work can/will improve because you’re healing while protecting.
This doesn’t mean you can overpush yourself physically or stay out in the sun all day again. So, still take precautions until you’ve modified your entire lifestyle to be in remission.
What Are The “Side Effects”:
- Headaches: Possibly, this isn’t exactly proven yet as there is a very slightly higher rate than the placebo. Plus, headaches are a major symptom of Lupus.
- Vivid, lucid dreams: I LOVE my dreams. I literally have experienced a low level of the movie Inception ( a dream within a dream). Coolest moments ever. However, sometimes people can experience nightmares.
- For me, I’ve trained myself to notify myself when it’s a dream as they can feel very real and I modify my dream when I get too scared. I’ll also find little difference in my dream and compare to reality, as I dream I’m able to tell myself I’m dreaming based on the very small differences. Did that make sense?!
- Insomnia: This occurs in the beginning. You’re supposed to start off with very small doses of about 1.5 mg. Then, after 2 weeks, gradually increase. Some people find their balance at 2.5 or as low as 1.5. Others need it at 3.5mg or as high as 4.5mg. It shouldn’t go higher than that.
- This should go away. If not, you can take it in the morning, but it’s best at night. (see # 4)
- GI issues: upset stomach. So, a less severe symptom of Lupus.
How It Is Used As A Natural Treatment For Lupus And Other AI Diseases And Cancers:
This is important to know. When your doctors ask why you’re taking it, I tell them the below and it makes total sense to them. They become curious and intrigued.
It’s called Opioid-Induced Immune Modulation.
Opioids are shown to alter the development, differentiation, and function of immune cells. Your bodies innate (natural) and adaptive systems are affected.
Endorphins are usually low in those with chronic conditions like Fibromyalgia, depression, Lupus, MS etc.
Endorphins work with neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine as well as oxytocin. Serotonin and dopamine help with mood regulation (hence I’m a happier person to be around for such a chronic condition).
Oxytocin, the “love hormone” is released when bonding occurs. Therefore, by taking the modulator, it causes a domino effect of an increase in naturally producing chemicals like the dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins.
It helps prolong the secretion and production between 2 am – 4 am. Which is why it’s best to take it at night.
This lasts throughout most of the following day. Which is why this is such an amazing find. It’s a simple mechanism that is significant in treating chronic conditions with better safety, efficacy, and little cost.
How Much Is LDN, Where To Get It, and Who Can Prescribe It:
The cost ranges from $25-$85 (ish) for a 3 MONTH supply in the USA and Canada.
There are various facilities in the US that can compound this drug. All you need is your doctor to call it in and they will mail it to you. They also are very accommodating if you have sensitivities or allergies or preferences. You can get the capsule gluten free, soy free, dairy free, vegetarian, and so forth.
Any DO, MD, NP, PA, can prescribe it. Of those, whoever practices Functional Medicine will definitely prescribe it as they know it very well when compared to conventional medical doctors.
Now that LDN is getting more attention in conventional medical practices, the FDA is working with pharmaceutical companies to create a brand name variance of it.
However, save your money and stick with functional medical doctors for the cheap, compounded version. (see #5 again)
- LDN is FDA approved for treating alcohol and opioid addiction at 50mg+. Off-labeled at 1.5-4.5 mg, it’s used for chronic illnesses and cancers. Natural Treatment for Lupus, Hashitmoto’s, Fibromyalgia, Chrons, MS etc.
- It blocks opioids by attaching to opioid receptors without activating them.
- It makes you happier, more controlled emotions, less pain, and inflammation. LDN contains your immune system making it function better and be more reliable. Your blood work can and will improve because you’re healing and protecting at the same time.
- Side effects: Possibly headaches, Vivid/lucid dreaming for sure, Insomnia in the beginning, and may cause an upset stomach.
- If your doctors ask what it’s used for, tell them It’s called Opioid-Induced Immune Modulation. Endorphins are usually low in those with chronic conditions like Fibromyalgia, depression, Lupus, MS etc. This helps increases the natural production of neurotransmitters so that you benefit without the price tag and serious side effects.
- Compounded pharmacies across the USA and Canada can make Low-dose Naltrexone as a 3 month supply for $25-85 ish dollars.
- Anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain, Modern Wonder Drug
Vitamins & Supplements For Natural Lupus Treatment:
Most people in the US have vitamin deficiencies and suffer vague symptoms. Those with chronic conditions, specifically Lupus almost always have a deficiency or two.
It’s common for doctors to overlook these deficiencies as they are quite vague in symptoms and they don’t have much time to thoroughly review your lifestyle activities to see if a simple deficiency is a cause.
It’s usually a simple fix as well:
- Common Deficiencies
- Vague Symptoms
- Who’s More Likely to Have This Problem
- What Causes Them
- How to Find the Right Type of Vitamin
Vitamins are NOT created or developed the same. What you put into your body matters. Many companies contain fillers, don’t you remember Walmart, Target and more being sued on this exact issue?!
What we don’t realize is these vague symptoms are telling us something is wrong.
- Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms: Bone pain, psoriasis, digestive problems, mood swings, excessive sweating, tiredness & fatigue.
Who’s likely to have this deficiency?
Those with autoimmune disease, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, Chronic pain, MS, Autism, Psoriasis, Depression, Insomnia, Arthritis, HPB, Cancer, Heart Disease
What’s the cause?
Not enough in foods and not the right kind, not enough sun exposure, not enough supplementation, medications, low cholesterol levels, low-fat diet, magnesium deficiency, absorption problems.
How to find the right type of vitamin:
Vitamin D2 vs. D3: There is a HUGE difference in bodily absorption and use.
Vitamin D3 is more reliable and easier for your body. D3 from animal-derived products are more easily absorbed and beneficial to your body. Why you ask?!
Vitamin D2 is man-made using yeast and other molds, by irradiating animal oils and cholesterol you get vitamin D3. The type that we make naturally in our body is cholecalciferol (D3).
Most processed foods include D2, which isn’t convertible by the body into what it needs and it’s not absorbable. It’s all for looks and poorly run government approved regulations.
Vitamin D3 is more readily metabolized for your body to convert for better use by the hepatic enzyme in the liver.
Vitamin K is needed in combination to help tell D3 where your body needs it. It helps protect your kidneys, arteries, liver, and bones that don’t need it from calcification.
So, don’t take the vitamin D2 that’s prescribed by your doctor. Vitamin D3 is cheap, safer, more reliable, and a bottle can last an entire year.
Be sure to get your levels checked every 3 months to make sure you’re in the right range!
How To Find The Right D3?
Non-GMO, dairy-free, gluten-free
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms: Exhaustion, sluggishness and weakness in muscles, pins and needle sensations (nerve damage), memory issues, wobbly or dizzy, pale skin, smooth and red tongue, depression/anxiety
Who’s likely to have this deficiency?
Those with autoimmune disease, celiacs, chrons, bacterial growth, parasites, graves disease, Lupus, vegans, vegetarians, adults over 50, oral contraceptives for extended periods of time
What’s the cause?
It can simply be a lack of proper nutrition. Either you’re taking supplements with binders and fillers or taking the wrong amount of vitamins. Your diet could be full of fruits and veggies, but not what YOU need.
Sometimes, it’s malabsorption through the small intestine.
For example, a good amount of glycoprotein intrinsic factors is needed to help the body absorb B12. This is why it’s common for those with inflammation and GI autoimmune diseases to have these deficiencies.
How to find the right type of vitamin:
The best source is fish and meat!
However, if you still don’t have enough, check out this B complex
- Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms: Fatigue, muscle weakness, muscle twitches and cramps, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, irritability, PMS, headaches, insomnia, hormonal disruptions
Magnesium (Mg) is important too! It helps regulate blood pressure, decrease insulin resistance, end cluster headaches and migraines, relieves fibromyalgia pain and chronic pain and much more!
Basically, at least 600 enzymatic reactions are dependent on magnesium, so it’s a very valuable mineral to have! It helps nerve transmission, relaxation of muscles, the electrical activity of the heart, stress reduction, and restful sleep
Who’s likely to have this deficiency?
Chron’s, celiacs, diabetics, lots of junk food consumers, vitamin D deficiency, long-term antibiotic use, elderly, alcoholics
What’s the cause?
Caffeine consumption, sugar consumption, processed foods, alcohol, produce from depleted soil, foods high in phytic acid, birth control pills, antibiotics
Magnesium is mostly absorbed in the small intestine and about 5% in the large intestine. 40% of Mg intake is absorbed, while 55% is excreted.
How to find the right type of vitamin:
Magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate are powerful remedies.
Specialized forms are able to be better absorbed than others and are better suited for different needs. Most supplements contain a blend that includes calcium and potassium.
Magnesium Glycinate is the most easily absorbed for your body. This is usually used when treating an Mg deficiency. It’s thought to be absorbed through channels utilized by amino acid absorption.
I personally use and recommended Doctors Best Magnesium.
- Potassium Deficiency Symptoms: High blood pressure, fatigue, and trouble getting good sleep, reduced bone formation, muscle weakness and spasms, joint pain, poor memory, higher risk of kidney stones
Who’s likely to have this deficiency?
Those who take diuretics or laxatives, kidney or adrenal gland disorders, very low-calorie diet, exercising more than 1-2 hours a day
What’s the cause?
Well, absorption issues from the small intestine or colon, or simply diet and lack of vitamin supplements
How to find the right type of vitamin:
Well, avocado, bananas, salmon, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and white beans are a great start for great nutritional intake!
If not, you should always shop for certified organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, preservative free, and no fillers or artificial flavors/preservatives.
Zinc Deficiency Symptoms: Poor memory, weakened immune system, loss of appetite, low libido, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell, weakened thymus
- This is common because patients with AI disease lack the amino acid histidine, this is needed to transport zinc in your body.
- Zinc transporter, ZnT5 has been shown to significantly benefit immune cells and is a critical element in delayed-type allergic responses
- ZnT4 is a transport that helps different levels even out within the bloodstream
How to Find the Right Type of Vitamin:
First, you should have the enzymes protease and DNase to help drive zinc into your cells.
Once you’ve had blood tests, work with your doctor to determine how often to take supplements to ensure you’re on the right track.
Supplementing with 20-40mg zinc glycinate per day is known to help those with autoimmune disease. This version is absorbable while the glycine molecule provides additional anti-inflammatory benefits.
Food either feeds or fights disease. Which do you choose?
- Vitamin D3 is easier for your body to absorb and MK-7 makes it a power combo. K-7 tells D3 where to go so that the parts of your body that actually need it, get it!
- It’s necessary for most Lupus, CFS, and Fibro sufferers.
- Vitamin B complex is recommended for brain fog, fatigue, bone pain and much more. If you have malabsorption issues, it could be the cause of the deficiency.
- A good amount of glycoprotein intrinsic factors are needed to help the body absorb B12.
- Magnesium (Mg) is important too! It helps regulate blood pressure, decrease insulin resistance, end cluster headaches and migraines, relieves fibromyalgia pain and chronic pain and much more!
- Potassium is important too! It helps your muscles function much better
- You should always shop for certified organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, preservative free, and no fillers or artificial flavors/preservatives.
- Zinc is related to poor immune health, low libido, thymus issues and more
- Zinc deficiencies are common because patients with AI disease lack the amino acid histidine, this is needed to transport zinc in your body.
The Natural Treatment For Lupus Diet
Diet is key to good health whether you have a disease or not. However, many are finding that allergies and sickness have more than doubled and one of the biggest changes that may have a direct correlation is the toxins and additives in our food.
Modifying to Paleo or AIP helps immensely with decreasing body-wide inflammation, in turn, decreasing symptoms drastically and improved bloodwork in many cases.
This includes non-GMO, grass-fed meat and an organic veggie diet while removing processed foods and hidden sugars.
What’s the big deal about GMOs?
Grass-fed animals vs. GMO corn-fed animals: This is used to fatten them up faster so they can be processed faster, to sell us more and keep us sick.
These animals are getting so big, so fast that their own immune systems are shutting down which requires more uses of antibiotics and immune boosters. Basically, sick animals that die quicker and are fatter in a short amount of time.
If we eat animals developed like that, we’re essentially eating the same thing; toxins, antibiotics, and unhealthy meat.
Compare this to the reason why people don’t eat black bears and other scavenger type animals because you will absorb all the toxic build-up they had in their lifetime.
Our body has a great immune system, but clearly, we are damaging our cells to the point that it’s irreversible.
Sugars and carbs FEED inflammation and cancer.
Let’s face the facts here, we have big portions to start which makes us have a bad start already on carbs and sugars. Carbs and sugars spike our glucose levels which fill us up quickly and then make us hungry even quicker!
We live a sedentary lifestyle, so a diet with such a huge amount of carbs and sugars is not needed.
The carb cycle repeats itself and we stay sick and inflamed.
If you decrease your sugar and carb intake while supplementing with lots of dark greens (which are filled with tons of nutritious vitamins and minerals), eat healthy fats like eggs, avocado, coconut oil, nuts and more, you’ll decrease your cravings and actually have mental clarity with less pain and sickness.
With Lupus, we’re are more likely to get cancer due to the nature of Lupus, the prescriptions we take, and possible poor lifestyle habits.
So, let’s be proactive together and learn about dietary changes. Diet feeds or fights disease, I can’t stress that enough!
Gluten-free, dairy-free is an absolutely positive start. However, you should supplement with the right foods to decrease your chances of failing and feeling discouraged.
This is all possible on a budget! Get creative, food prep and make homemade food more often.
Shop at Aldi’s weekly or Walmart for organic foods. You can even become apart of a local farm share with a friend or family to split the costs.
- Many are finding that allergies and sickness have more than doubled and one of the biggest changes that may have a direct correlation is the toxins and additives in our food.
- Sugars and carbs FEED inflammation and cancer.
- Modify your diet to gluten-free, dairy free, few refined sugars, low carb and replace with high healthy fats, moderate protein, and few carbs. Lots of dark veggies will help fuel your body!
- You’ll have mental clarity, no stomach issues, and much less joint, muscle, and bone pain
- GMO’s, antibiotics, and pesticides do not help you function better, they keep you sick.
How To Approach Your Doctor For Natural Lupus Treatment:
Have confidence in what you learn. By reading these articles and researching more, you can talk to your doctor about what you are learning.
You don’t have to give them a long speech, they don’t have time, remember?!
For example, “I’ve been researching and saw this medication LDN, it works with Plaquenil and some immunosuppressive drugs. It’s an Opioid-Induced Immune Modulator.”
- Provide some studies or have them Google it themselves because they always do. They will be pleasantly surprised.
- Asking for blood tests: Say you have general vague symptoms would like to make sure your vitamin levels are in an optimal range. You’d like to be tested for Bs, D( not calcium levels, vitamin D levels), potassium, and Mg. They shouldn’t fight you on being thorough.
- Be friendly, they are people too: Help them understand you know they are the doctor and at the end of the day and you both have the same goal, to keep you as healthy as possible with fewer side effects and a better quality of life.
Of course, continue to take your medications, these are just suggestions of additions to decrease side effects and better support your immune system.
Seeing a functional medical doctor will help wonders. Read this for more information on what functional medicine is.
Lastly, this blog is written by a researcher who has published data on how to work with your healthcare provider.
- Bring articles and research I’ve provided, research more yourself
- Have confidence and talk with your doctor respectfully
- Request blood tests for common deficiencies since you most likely have such vague symptoms that overlap with Lupus, they can be decreased or disappear if it’s caused by deficiencies
- Be friendly and explain you have the same goals, to work, have a quality of life, and few side effects
Natural Lupus Treatment On a Budget:
First, get all the help you can get through Medicaid even if you have insurance. If you don’t make enough you can qualify for Medicaid to help cover other needed costs. Yes, even with insurance. There are a lot of qualifications, I encourage you to look into everything to help save money where you can!
For healthy food choices, you don’t need to sacrifice your wallet.
Shopping at farmers markets and buying vegetables in season are easier.
Don’t forget easy recipes on Pinterest! Those are a lifesaver if you don’t have the time nor the brain power to think of something delicious and healthy.
Shop when there are sales on vitamins and supplements. Also, signup for email lists and use those coupons!
Credit cards: This is a little creative, but many credit cards offer 2% cash back on grocery stores and gas. These are necessities, so take advantage and don’t overspend!
Use a credit card for those items only and you will stay on budget while also getting some cash back!
Also, shop at Aldi’s weekly. Their produce doesn’t seem to last more than a week, but it shouldn’t, it’s organic.
Walmart has great prices too. They even offer free grocery delivery or pickup, depending on your area. So, check them out and see what they can do to help.
If they shop for you, all you need to do is pick it up on your bad days. It’s a win-win.
- Shop weekly at Aldi’s for organic produce, my budget was literally cut in half when I shop there as compared to higher ends stores. I’m not paying for a name when I get the same quality cheaper!
- Walmart – has a free shop for you option(at some locations). You can order online and pick it up for free. This is great when you don’t feel well.
- Credit cards – sign up for credit cards that offer at least 2% cash back on groceries and gas and ONLY use it for that. It adds up, trust me!
- Who doesn’t want free money for spending money on things you need anyway?
These are just a few suggestions, I hope they help!
A few of the products I highlighted above will help you stay on top of containing your immune system and get more control of your health and quality of life. Remember, it’s not just about vitamins, it’s about what type of vitamins, who made them, how they were made, and how transparent the company is.
Remember to always talk with your doctor before starting and while continuing any routine that involves your health!